Thursday, April 8, 2010

Growing up or growing old?

It seems to me that everyone my age is speeding towards this idea of 'adulthood' so fast that they aren't even enjoying how things are right now. Don't get me wrong, I like being considered an 'adult', but I also love just being a college student. In the end, it comes down to me. I don't have to take care of anyone else, and I'm completely free to make decisions that are best for me. If I was married, I'd have to think about what's best for us. It'd be even worse if I had a baby. Then it wouldn't even be about me and my husband, it'd be about my husband and baby. Would I even finish college if I had a kid? It just doesn't make sense to me that people would rush into all the responsibilities of life this early. Spouses and kids make things so much more complicated. College should be a time to pick what you want to do for the rest of your life and continue growing into the person you're meant to be. Yet, it seems everyone I know is either married, engaged, pregnant, has a baby, or at the very least is in a serious relationship. Is it so terrible and backward that I'm perfectly happy being single? Yes, it would be nice to have someone to cuddle with when I've had a crummy day, and I'd like to have someone in my life, but that's not my priority right now. I'm worried about me, and I won't let anyone make me feel less because I decided to take care of my needs first, and let the family stuff come later. In no way am I ready for marriage right now anyway. I might be growing up still, but there's no need for me to hurry up and get married and get working on growing old.

No comments:

Post a Comment