Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Contradictory Creature

Lately I've been feeling like there's two seperate people inside my body. Almost like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kind of situation. Some days I can't stand people in general and I absolutely need to be alone. Other days, like right now, I feel like I need people because I'm so painfully lonely. And I can't seem to make up my mind about anything. This semester is going to be over in less than three weeks, and part of me is so excited because I'm ready for a break, and part of me is wishing that the semester would keep going because I have nothing lined up for my summer yet. It's my fault that I don't even have a job yet for summer, because I let my professor destroy my confidence and didn't even apply for an internship. On top of that, I just can't seem to make a clear decision on anything, even if it's completely unimportant. It seems beyond me to even decide what to eat for lunch. It makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with me? If I can't make decisions now, what's it going to be like when I actually have to make difficult decisions? I used to be able to hear what my heart was telling me to do under all the other noise of what my mind was telling me to do, and what other people were telling me what to do. Now I can't hear it. Did my heart catch laringitis, or have I been not paying attention to it long enough that it quit giving me advice? Is this why I can't make a decision, or is this why there's two different girls fighting inside my brain? I wish I could just figure out why there is so much conflict within myself. Is there conflict within everyone and it just seems like mine is overwhelming? But more important than any of my other questions, how do I bite the bullet and let everything work itself out when I'm not even happy where I'm at anymore?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that everyone has these kinds of conflict. I know I have plenty of it myself.

    In the long run, remember this: the heart wants what it wants, and it won't keep quiet until it gets it (or fails to get it but has some decent closure.) If you can't hear it anymore: it hasn't gotten quiet; everything else has gotten louder.

    Ever since I ended up in college, I had been making plans to leave it. I really wanted to just travel around America, working odd jobs and camping in people's backyards, seeing the Neo-Futurists in Chicago, visting Aunt Carol in Georgia, finding out what the heck to do in Montana... But I never really dropped out and pursued this because of The Voices: friends don't want me to leave; parents don't want me to quit; studies say I might get a higher salary; my guilt is saying that I should finish what I've started; et cetera. But the heart wants what it wants, and I still really want to jump on a bus and go somewhere I've never been before.

    The Heart wants what it wants. The Voices might drown it out. The secret is knowing when and how the heart can break through the Voices.

    I'm still coming back next semster--I've made too many engagements not to--but I'm determined to go to Chicago this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Did you get that snowflake I left on your door? It's something I keep doing: reading people's blogs and making gifts on their bad days. I sent Christianne that paper flower the other day.

    ReplyDelete