Thursday, March 18, 2010

A fresh coat of paint, and a new outlook

About a month ago, my cousin Foe moved out of my parent's house. For a little background, he's been living with us since we were 11(and if you recall I just turned 20). Like the ungrateful jerk he is, he moved out while both of my parents were at work and didn't tell them or my brother about his plans. Above anything he did to my parents, he really betrayed my older brother. When everyone else, including me, gave up on my cousin my brother was always there for him and always loved him. A mutal friend of the three of us had to tell my brother that Foe had moved out. He just really hurt every member of my family with his actions. My mom called me later that week and told me what had happened. I could hear in her voice how hurt she was and that she felt like a failure. It really hurt me because I was away at school and couldn't do anything to help anyone from 200 miles away. However, when I came home for spring break this week I had an epiphany. I saw how depressing his old room looked, and that just brought down the mood of my home because his doorway is at the end of the hallway. I decided that the room needed new paint. I spent three full days of my vacation repainting his old room. The room looks completely different now, and it makes me feel great that something so simple could change the feeling of my home. My mom really loves the look of the room now, and we're planning on turning the room into a spare bedroom/craft room for my mom. Mom doesn't want to make too many changes until we're sure that Foe can make it on his own. But honestly, I don't ever want him to come back. He treated my family like crap, and he was never grateful for all the chances that my parents gave him. I guess, in a way, repainting the room was good for me too. I closed a very painful part of my life, and now I feel like I'm free to move on. Foe, I know you'll never read this but don't come back, we're so much better off without you. Good luck with your new life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment