Monday, September 21, 2009

The little things that make me smile

Recently I've discovered the best site ever, givesmehope.com. As I was reading the stories about all the older couples being so in love it brought more than a few tears to my eyes. These stories reminded me of this summer when my grandpa died. We were cleaning out drawers in the house and I couldn't even bring myself to look at his recliner because he'd never sit in it again. Later that day, my mom was going through the drawers in his bedroom, and what she found still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. In his drawers were two large wooden boxes full of my grandmother's jewelry. She died in 2002, and none of us knew that he had this. And in another drawer we found another wooden box that said 'Our Wedding Day' on it. Inside the box was his boutonniere, a program, and pictures from my uncle's wedding, who was his last child to get married.

This might just seem like nothing to those of you who never had the wonderful privilege to meet my grandpa. He was one of the best men I've met in my entire life. He worked hard at a cattle feed lot his entire life, and had to move his family a couple of times in order for him to continue to have a job. He had six children and for several years all 8 of them lived in a two bedroom duplex. He has 15 grandchildren and one great granddaughter. He knew us all personally and always believed that we could be anything we've ever wanted to be. He's had between 7 and 9 heart attacks and in the early 90's they told him he only had a few years to live. This man gives me the greatest hope for my own life because he lived for 10 years with only 25% of his heart working. He took at least 7 of us fishing every summer, even though that meant he couldn't fish because we were all so needy. On the outside, no one would've ever thought this man could love so many so very much, but he loved us all.

While cleaning out his basement, I found a picture of the two of us laying on the floor in his living room when I was about two or three. This picture is currently framed on the wall in my dorm room. He loved with all of his big heart. He died seven years and three days after his beloved wife. This wonderful man, and the amazing life he led is what gives me hope. I miss him everyday, but I know he's happy because he's with my grandma again.

You'll be remembered, loved, and missed Everett Ball, better known as Grandpa. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment