Monday, October 26, 2009

Something I discovered yesterday

So I was talking to a friend yesterday and I found out something that I think makes me happy. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with a skin disease, and while it's not very serious, my dermatologist was a total jerk. He told me that my disease was going to kill me. As a 14 year old girl, being told that you're going to die slow, painfully and soon shatters your world. So the fact that he was wrong and I'm feeling excellent really makes my day each and every day. Anyway, back to the friend I was talking about. She had no idea that I had been told I was dying, and she was completely surprised. Then it hit me. People always wonder why I take my disease so lightly nowadays, and this is why. They didn't live through my disease like I did, and they don't understand how easy it is to live with now as compared to when I thought I'd never live to see college. My every day is a great gift, and I celebrate each day with laughter. So people, I'm really not as sensitive about it as everyone assumes I am. If you're curious, ask, don't stare. I'm a better person for what I've been through, and I want to use it to help others cope with things. Lean on me, I'm strong when you can't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment