Monday, November 2, 2009

Memories can come up and bite you in the tuchis

It's almost ridiculous the things that can trigger memories in your brain. Today I was just watching tv, when a Hallmark commercial came on. It was actually for one of the cutest things I've ever seen. There were two little girls who opened a book, and then their grandmother's voice started reading the story to them. The commercial ended with her voice saying 'I love you girls'. I completely lost control of my tear ducts. I cried almost as hard as when I heard that my grandpa had died. It hit me just then that I'm starting to lose my memory of how he sounded. It breaks my heart that I can hardly hear him say he loves me in my head anymore. Then it occured to me that I can't remember how my grandmother's voice sounded anymore. And I can hardly hear Ms. Vi tell me 'Merry Christmas' anymore, and that was always the way I wanted to remember her because it was her favorite holiday. And I can only see Tim's smile when I see old pictures of him. Mostly it breaks my heart that the memory of people who are so precious to me were intrusted to something as faliable as my very human brain. I'm completely astonished that I can remember some of the worst moments in my entire life, but I can't remember the simple things about some of the best people that have ever been in my life. I guess the human brain is funny like that, but I still remember the little things about them that made them so special. The way my grandma always smelled like peppermint, and how she believed that they could cure everything from a headache to a stomache ache. The way that Vi was always filled with spunk and had a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eye. My grandpa's undying stubbornness and never ending love for his family. I guess that it's those things that'll keep in my memory. It's just utter craziness that one little commercial could trudge up all those memories. Oh goodness brain, when will you leave me be and not make me cry over silly things that bring up sad memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment