Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm in love with Philosophy

Today we were discussing Plato's Apology in which Socrates is defending himself in a court of law. This led to a discussion of the "greatest things". Collectively we decided that these were the biggest and most pressing unanswerable questions facing us. And that all led me to wonder, what's the most pressing question in my exsistence? I'd like to say that it's something about my future, or where I'm going after this life, or something to do with love. But it's so much more selfish than that. I'd have to say that it would either be 'what was the purpose behind me getting sick', or 'do people actually care about me'. At the same time, I wonder if we don't have the answers to life's biggest questions because we couldn't handle the answers. I mean, what would I do if I asked if people really care about me and I was told no? Or if I asked why did I get sick, and I'm told there's no reason, I just felt like giving you crap to deal with. It's human nature to constantly question the universe, but I don't think it's actually important for us to know the answers. Life is difficult enough without dwelling on the answers we'll never get. But it is nice every once in a while to just let your mind wander and think about all the things you've ever wanted to know about anything and everything. Just make sure to leave bread crumbs because it's no good to get lost in philosophy when your real life is passing you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment