Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Can loneliness spawn independence?

As you know, I've been very lonely this summer. It doesn't really help that I keep seeing pictures from the great times my friends are having, and that I haven't been invited along, but I digress. I normally hate doing tasks outside of my living quarters by myself. Ask anyone close to me and I've probably invited them to run errands with me, and I'll always take a friend places if I'm free for the afternoon. Lately, I've broken away from that because I can now go run my errands by myself without feelng anxious about being alone. Because I'm getting getting pretty used to being alone, I've even considered going to a movie by myself. And up until now, this freedom seemed really liberating. No longer do I have to wait to do things because the other person can't. No more can I use the excuse "I wanted to see that movie, but couldn't find anyone to go with me". However, the more I think about it the more I lose my confidence in my ability to actually go through with it. Every time I think about going to lunch and eating an entire meal by myself, or sitting in a theater with no one beside me other than a bucket of popcorn a tiny piece of me dies. I realize that is incredibly overdramatic, but that's just who I am. So I feel better in knowing that I am able to run errands and do tasks without needing someone with me. But the fact that I have so few people in my life that want to spend time with me that I'd actually consider seeing a movie by myself is even more depressing than spending days at a time by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment