Sunday, January 10, 2010

An Aha Moment from God

So I've been looking for moments of grace in my life. You know, the little moments when something that seems so insignificant happens and it makes you feel at peace, that's grace. Well, this week I had to visit the doctor yet again, and while sitting in her office something 'graceful' happened. There were only two copies of the same magazine inside her office. With no other option I picked up 'Arthritis Today', or something like that. The cover story was about dealing with the body image issues that go along with your diagnosis. I've been having a lot of issues with my body image ever since I was diagnosed with morphea. If the article in itself wasn't enough of a 'graceful' moment, the author of the article quoted a prayer that I've said in my darkest moments to bring the light. You may have heard of it, it's called the Serenity Prayer and it goes a little like this:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

It article went on to say that you should focus on the things you love about yourself rather than dwell on what you see yourself as physically. And it even suggested posting a note by your bed or on your mirror saying that people love you for who you are not what you look like or what you can do. My moment of grace was continued today during church. We sang one of my all time favorite songs, 'You are Mine'. The ultimate message behind it is that God will love you, and will take away all your pain, and He'll bring you home. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that it makes me cry every time I hear it. I've found a deep peace inside that I can physically feel, and I know that it's God calming my heart and telling me that everything will work out okay.

1 comment: