Sunday, January 5, 2014

Labels

Today I've been musing over the labels given to us by society and by ourselves.  Sometimes a label is helpful in defining who we are, or why we are they way that we are.  However, everyone is familiar with the way that labels can hinder our growth or make us see ourselves in a negative fashion.  A pastor in my life today gave a sermon in which she defined herself by labels of both a helpful and hurtful nature.  I thought the exercise would be an interesting thing to try, so here we go!

I am a single, straight, white, female in her early twenties.  I am disabled.  I am the product of a middle class, white privileged family.  I am also the product of a liberal yet traditionally valued mother and a conservative but loving father.  I have held a job for most of my life starting near the age of eight, and I have had success holding these jobs for long periods of time.  I am well educated and a hard worker.  I am part of the tattooed population.  I am considered an artist by some and talented by others.  I am in debt.  I am not a home owner.  I am too young to be called experienced, but too old for college phases of exuberance.  I am an ally.  I am also a Christian.  Recently I've found out that I am a cat lover.  I'm a best friend, and an aunt by heart.  I'm a daughter, a sister, a cousin, a niece.  I'm a volunteer.  I'm an ex-fiancee.  Some might even call me a survivor.  But truly only two labels in my entire life truly matter: I am a child of God, and I am love.

Hmm, that was pretty fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment