Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Living with not dying from disease

It's probably completely unproductive, but I sometimes think about what my life would be like if I was never told I was dying. If I went to an actually competent dermatologist, I never would have heard it. I'm struggling at the moment because I'm really starting to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. At a certain point I didn't even think I'd make it to college. But I'm here and I'm mostly healthy. However, the what-ifs and questions still haunt me.

What if I had never heard I was dying?
Would I be better prepared for my future?
Would I be able to better function in relationships?
Would I still be the same person?
What if I didn't graduate?
What if I had dropped out of school because I was so sure I was dying?
What if I had made all the bad decisions that were presented to me my freshman year in high school?
Would I have gone down the same path as my one time sort of boyfriend?
Could I be in jail right now for the decisions I had made?
Would I appreciate my life as much as I do if I didn't think I could lose it?
Would I love as hard as I do?
Would I take as many risks?
Would I say the vast amount of stupid things that I do?
Would I still have my semi-black sense of humor?
Would life just be easier?

I know that all this isn't exactly helpful, but sometimes it creeps into my brain that everything might be so much better if my doctor had never lied to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment